Have you ever though of pasta being one of the best survival food recipes you could know? Not all kinds of pasta, but a select few that have been feeding people in emergency survival times for many decades.
In the last post in survival food, you learned how to make the Red Flannel Hash survival recipe. Now in this post, we’re going to cover how to make Gorge Pasta.
What is Gorge Pasta
Pasta is one of the most versatile foods in the history of mankind. The first mentions of pasta can be traced back as far as the 1st century AD to the writings of the Roman poet Horace. Much later European voyagers and travelers carried this dish to various parts of the world, where it evolved further as per the local tastes.
Gorge pasta is one such recipe that was made in America. It is an adaptation of the Italian pasta and was served as one of the survival foods during the 18th and 19th centuries. It is not only very easy to make but also is filling and hearty. Perhaps that is the reason why it has found a place in the list of survival recipes.
During the late 19th century, roughly from 1870 to 1920, a lot of people immigrated from Italy to America to escape the clutches of World War. With them, they also brought their cuisine and that is how pasta came to America in the first place.
As it usually happens, the Italian cuisine was influenced by the local American culture and thus was born this unique Gorge Pasta recipe. This simple recipe no doubt served as a filling meal during the hard times of World Wars and the Great Depression. The word gorge here refers to the act of “feeding oneself greedily or filling up with food”. In other words, this pasta is delicious enough to gorge on.
Now, let’s see a list of the simple ingredients that you will need to make this dish.
How To Make
This pasta was traditionally made from macaroni. However, if you do not get macaroni, you can use other types like cavatelli, fusilli or rotini. After all, this is a survival recipe.
- 2 Cups raw macaroni pasta (or any other variety).
- 2 Cups of stewed tomatoes. This can be store-bought or made fresh at home.
- 1 pound of shredded cheddar cheese. You can buy the pre-shredded variety or get a block and shred it at home yourself.
This recipe calls for very basic utensils like the following-
- A large pot for boiling the pasta
- A colander for draining.
- A large bowl.
- Mixing spoon.
1. Bring water to boil in the large pot. Add in the pasta.
2. Cook the pasta till it is tender. Do not leave it at al dente.
3. Drain the pasta into the colander and let it sit. The pasta will steam at this stage.
4. After a couple of minutes, transfer the pasta, the stewed tomatoes, and the cheddar cheese into a large bowl.
5. Mix them with a spoon till everything is thoroughly combined and the cheese has melted.
6. Gorge pasta is ready to be enjoyed.
Now you know how to make this recipe so you can add it to your survival recipes book.
This is, without doubt, the easiest pasta recipe that you can ever make. And what’s more, it tastes good and satiates hungry mouths. You might already have all the ingredients in your pantry.
So if you need the inspiration to make a tasty dinner that doesn’t take you hours to make or fancy ingredients, look no further than this survival Gorge Pasta recipe. Go ahead and make it.
Have you ever made pasta in a food shortage time period?